<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Maintaining Optimism in the Face of Reality. Occasional observations on the state of the world, society, business and politics. Usually anchored by facts, always augmented by opinion.


Democracts Expressing Themselves  | e-mail post

Ironic timing. I just got an e-mail from one of my Democrat friends. His message:

Support Your Candidate!

---------------
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to get this important reminder out - to show support for our presidential candidates, whomever they may be . . .

If you support the policies and character of John Kerry, please drive with your headlights on during the day on Friday. If you support George W. Bush, please drive with your headlights off that night. Thank you.


I honestly forgot to laugh. Maybe because it just wasn't all that hilarious, as I have frequently claimed that most humor needs to be anchored in some level of truth while this joke relies on the liberal conceit that they are somehow more intelligent than conservatives. (As another friend said to me over the weekend "you're too smart to vote for Bush." Nice backhanded compliment.) I might suggest some liberals are misinformed, or don't carry lines of reasoning through to their logical conclusions, or play fast and loose with the facts (all of which may be fair criticisms of many conservatives as well), but I don't uniformly consider them stupid (and I have little regard for those who do).

Or maybe I didn't laugh because I had just finished reading about how Democrats in Florida are driving;or, more accurately, how at least one feels that it is appropriate to use a car to terrorize an elected member of the U.S. House of Representatives, as just happened yesterday when Barry Seltzer seemed to get a little case of road rage toward Rep. Katherine Harris (who was the Florida secretary of state during the 2000 election). Seltzer popped up on the sidewalk and drove toward Harris and a crowd of her supporters. [Guardian UK] [Police Report at Smoking Gun] "I intimidated them with my car," Seltzer told police. "I was exercising my political expression." No comment.

e-mail post | Link Cosmos | [Permalink]  |  | Thursday, October 28, 2004
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?